What does it mean to Learn?
This week we started a new semester, not only a quick semester consisting of seven week but during the summer season. Oh no! The semester will be a double study load as well as a longer study load because each class is extensive in every aspect of I continue this journey to fulfill my degree. The week started out with the usual discussion boards where we introduce ourselves to the class and share a small piece of our lives. There also was a quiz on our studies in regard to the purpose of this course. When I read the title of this class, I had no clue what it would entail. The depth of entrepreneurship can be taken to any level of understanding. My first thought was starting a business and in the syllabus, it was mainly to understand our "Life Plan" before the concept can be taken towards a business aspect. President Hinckley shared...
"Now be faithful. Be true. Go forward. Be ambitious. Don’t short circuits yourself. Don’t stop now. Keep going. Keep going. Educate your minds. And your spirits and never lose sight of the fact that you’re a child of God with a divine destiny and capable of doing great and good and wonderful things."
I took this excerpt as part of motivation and encouragement for me and the journey I am taking to achieve my education. I think it is very important for the current generations to be more mindful of their time and what they want to pursue. We can easily become distracted by outside influences that take us away from the chosen path. I can understand in this first week that we can put a better effort into what is considered a life plan and what we want and how to pursue it. Elder David A. Bednar spoke in a devotional at Ricks College and he opened up my mind to the concept of learning.
"A disciplined and educated mind is a tool for reasoning and inquiring and evaluating and discerning. These abilities are not merely the requirements described in a course syllabus; rather, they are essential skills for a spiritual, happy, and productive life." (Your Whole Souls as an Offering as an Offering Unto Him, 1999.)
I found this talk inspiring and supportive to students who waver from time to time because the education journey can be challenging but rewarding. In terms of a journal, I handwrite my entries in a personal journal next to my bed. When I am at work or away from home, my thoughts are placed on my notes pad on my phone. In order to keep our mental health, I believe that we need to release our stresses and strife and it includes what our thoughts are mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. This is my first time taking a summer semester and I have to say it most definitely pushes the limit in terms of time and processing all this information in seven weeks. This week is an introduction to the class and what we will be doing for the remainder weeks. I think it will be a challenge for me but it will refresh some of the 'muscles' that I have not used in years. I look forward to these journal entries as they will help me understand where I fall to find and resolve my mistakes as well as lift me up in providing a better way to learn. A better way to listen and apply these principles in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment